Tuesday 28 July 2015

Life Drawing Catch Up! Part 1: Anatomy and Figure Drawing

WHOOPS

Looking back, my last life drawing post was last year! I didn't update anything about that this past year! MY BAD. So I dug up a pile of drawings that I kept, unfortunately I either lost or accidentally threw away some that I actually liked. So these will have to make do. 

BEHOLD PART 1: Anatomy and Figure Drawing

Anatomy

A few anatomy studies from the past year that I kept. I was scared to begin studying them since THERE IS SO MANY MUSCLES. But in terms of drawing them it wasn't so bad. The techniques we learned on how to draw them were extremely useful and made it easy. 

The muscle test on the other hand...having to remember so many had me nervous during winter break. But I passed the written test with flying colours! And I made sure I didn't cram for it and studied for it weeks beforehand since there seemed to be hundreds in the arm alone. We also ended up drawing real preserved human bodies at one point which was probably one of the highlights of the class for me. 



Look at them glutes.


Never skip leg day!


Unfortunately I cannot find my muscle test drawing (which I did extremely well on and got on the wall! WOO!) but here's an old picture of a drawing I did of the legs in the same view as the one I submitted for the test. Also unlucky me, I can't find this drawing either...and I liked both of them. I swear I kept them somewhere safe but they weren't part of the pile. 

Life Drawing

30's


1's



2's



3's



5's


Portrait


Overall I didn't improve as much as I would have liked. My limited time at school + insane workload + commuting pretty much required me to choose between extra life or doing homework that I can't do at home because I didn't have the tools or software. But studying anatomy has definitely helped me a ton and makes me view figures differently as well as making it easier for me to construct and rotate characters.

The class itself was a vast improvement over first year. It was much more relaxed with the teacher I had and it was more about how each person approached a drawing and not about how closely you can draw to the textbook examples that first year life drawing only seemed to have accepted. First year was such a depressing atmosphere for life drawing, it was extremely refreshing to have a class that accepts your approach and how to make it better. Hopefully third year is the same! 

No comments:

Post a Comment